In this final episode of DermTV Viewer Questions Week for October 2012, Dr. Schultz answers from DermTV.com viewers. Topics include the best time to apply skincare products, when to apply sunscreen, self tanner and dark spots, chem-free sunscreens, hair loss, antioxidants, and more.

Connect with DermTV:

[ABOUT DERMTV]

Everyone can have beautiful, healthy, and younger looking skin, and DermTV, the Internet’s daily skincare video show, will demonstrate how by revealing expert tips and techniques and by providing real solutions for real skincare issues.

Skincare (whether cosmetic or medical) previously required a trip to your dermatologist or a shopping spree at the pharmacy. And that’s if you have a trusted nearby dermatologist or a local informed pharmacy. But not anymore. We at DermTV are committed to making best-in-class dermatology and skincare guidance accessible to everyone, anytime, at your computer.

Every weekday, our host, Dr. Neal Schultz, one of New York’s most trusted and respected dermatologists (see bio below), teaches skincare’s most timely and timeless issues. Topics include: the best at home techniques and new technology for facial rejuvenation, preventing and fixing sun damage from wrinkles to skin cancer, breaking news in dermatology, general skincare topics, and more.

1. Johannes Halberstadt
    Johannes Halberstadt says:

…on the other hand, applying a moisturizer or skincareproduct after the physical sunscreen has been applied might mean you're shifting the particles around and moving the layer underneath. Yes, it might have formed a nice layer first, but then you massage in another product. This also might lead to uneven protection. The chemical sunscreens actuelly get absorbed by the skin and bind to proteins, so they are "locked" in place for a certain amount of time.
    But also maybe he recommends this, because there are also products that use a combination of physical an chemical sunscreens and it might be hard for customers to discern or to check the ingredientlist carefully everytime. So, maybe putting it on first simply is the safest bet.

2. Ameerul Basheer
    Ameerul Basheer says:

Hi Doctor. I've developed stretch marks along my armpit area and inner thigh areas and want to know some ways in which i Ican help heal them or conceal them. Thank you.

3. Silvia Miteva PESSOAL
    Silvia Miteva PESSOAL says:

Hi Dr Neil, I use a moisturiser with 15 SPF and I also have (and use) a sunscreen lotion with 50SPF. Should I use both at the same time (the 50 SPF first and the the moisturiser with 15 SPF)? I am beccoming more and more confused about this. Normally in summer I use a serum and then I apply the sucreen with 50SPF and no other moisturiser. In the autumn and wither I tend to use the moisturiser itself, as it also has the 15 SPF… But am I doing it right? I love Derm TV.com! Greets from Portugal

4. Princess Leia
    Princess Leia says:

I agree!!Why would plucking/waxing hairs make them grow darker, or more of them? It doesn't make any sense whatsoever! But so many people keep saying it,over and over again , that i had to ask!

5. Arlon Barbieri
    Arlon Barbieri says:

It depends on the exfoliant you are using. For oily skin, BHA (salicylic acid) is the best, be cause it exfoliate inside the pore. You can find good BHA products (with the right pH range) at paulaschoice(dot)com. The Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Stress Control, 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment is also a great BHA exfoliant. DO NOT use exfoliants with irritating ingredients, like alcohol, pepermint, menthol, because they can trigger a reaction on skin, which can make your skin oilier!

6. Arlon Barbieri
    Arlon Barbieri says:

You should start using anti-aging products right away! In fact, sunscreen is the best anti-aging product! I recommend the Blue Lizard Face SPF 30 for the face (it has 8% zinc oxide, which is great!), you can find it at drugstore(dot)com. For other anti-aging skin care, Paula's Choice is the best (believe me, I'm not a salesperson). You can order online at paulaschoice(dot)com.

7. Amanda G
    Amanda G says:

Hi Doctor! I am in my mid twenties, and I would like to know when I should start using anti-aging products, and which type to start using. I know there are many expensive brands out there, but I have no wrinkles yet; I would just like to prevent them as much as possible. I know that a large part of the youtube beauty community is in their mid twenties and would also like some information! Thanks 🙂

8. parky
    parky says:

YOU ARE AMAZING 😀 thank you so so much for this vid!!! I have a quick Q. I initially tried out benzoyl peroxide 5% on my acne and my skin reacted horribly to it (got little bumps all over my chin and bad bad dry flaky skin), so now im using 2.5% one, which thankfully is not causing further troubles but doesn't seem to have any effect on acne. What is going on?? im too scared to go back to the 5% one :S

9. Princess Leia
    Princess Leia says:

I'll submite a question for the next time: Is it true that you shouldn't pluck hairs on your chin/neck area, because more or darker will come out? This doesn't seem very logical to me, but i'd like you to clarify it! There are 2 or 3 dark hairs on my neck and i pluck them (with no ingrown problems).We can't all aford photolysis, and this has been working for me, but i'm still wondering if this is an old wife's tale, or there is some truth to it….. Thank you doctor!