Applying your own self tanner is so convenient and easy with ProTan! You can use it for an everyday glow, photoshoots, and even competitions. Comment with any questions! Links to products below.

Applying it yourself:

Here is a breakdown of products and a what/how/why description for each:

Step 1: Clean and Prep Skin – Preps skin for maximum absorption of color.
Get Buffed Exfoliator and PH control : http://j.mp/Kkhpzr

Step 2: Build-able Color – Base tan. Can apply multiple coats for desired shade. Dark enough for photoshoots.
Instant Competition Color : http://j.mp/1iYojH8

Step 3: Bronzing Mousse – Top coat to give that extra dark, mahogany tint for the stage lights.
(Bikini) Bronze – (Not sure why Bikini is in the name but guys this one is for you too!) : http://j.mp/1eTL10i

Step 4: Posing Gel – Helps even out tan and gives skin a healthy glow.
Muscle Sheen : http://j.mp/1a8Bt4r

Step 5: Contest Finish – Holds everything in place 😉
Bikini Bite : http://j.mp/L7yRaX

Instructions:

Step 1:
Begin exfoliating as soon as possible if you haven’t started already! You don’t need to buy a loofah or anything special, just shower and gently rub the exfoliator onto your skin in circles.

Step 2:
Start with clean, hair free, dry skin. I recommend taking your shower, towel drying, and start setting out newspapers or whatever you’re going to use to protect the bathroom floor. Begin applying Competition Color – spray product directly on applicator and/or pour product into plastic cup and dip applicator into cup and apply liberally to the skin. Apply product sparingly around elbows, knees, etc. If there are streaks just keep going over the area’s until the color no longer spreads and they will smooth out. I don’t recommend applying color to your face. The oils in the facial skin easily turn tanning product green and make it splotchy. Stop color about half way up neck. Once you have covered your entire body stand until the product is completely dry (5-20 minutes). (Don’t use a hair dryer to speed up the process – it will change your skins PH.) Once dry, put on loose fitting clothing. The self tanners will go to work darkening your skin considerably as time goes by. I recommend waiting at least an hour between coats and applying no more that 2-3 coats a day. Sleep in your tan the first night. When you wake up the next day, you can apply another coat exactly the same as the first. Let product dry completely. At this point the tanning complexes have been given time to work, and you can shower when needed. Shower in as cool as water you can handle (the warmer the water is it will open your pores and you will loose more color.) Evaluate your tan and if you would like it darker apply another coat.

Step 3:
This is a darker color with a mahogany tint. I recommend using this as a top coat before getting on stage. Either the night before or morning of (I personally prefer morning of because I’m a crazy sleeper), apply one coat of bronzing mousse. Pump color onto the applicator and begin applying liberally to the skin. Apply product sparingly around elbows, knees, etc. If there are streaks just keep going over the area’s until the color no longer spreads and they will smooth out. I don’t recommend applying color to your face. The oils in the facial skin easily turn tanning product green and make it splotchy. Stop color about half way up neck. Once you have covered your entire body stand until the product is completely dry (5-20 minutes). (Don’t use a hair dryer to speed up the process – it will change your skins PH.) Once dry, put on loose fitting clothing. This should be a top coat and therefore you should only apply one coat. From my experience trying to apply multiple coats of this without a shower in-between will leave your tan splotchy.

Step 4:
With plastic gloves on hands, apply a SMALL amount of the sheen to your fingertips and rub all fingers. A little goes a long way! You don’t want to drench yourself in sheen…gently apply to top of skin with quick light movements.

Step 5:
Apply bite to suit – not to skin. Place suit on skin where you want it to stay and press lightly for a few seconds.

1. Mel.
    Mel. says:

I will order the Mahogany Pro Tan mousse online on their website. Can I just use the Mahogany alone without anything before or after from that line? I just want to have a dark not orange tan for the summer to look good.

2. Ed Turner
    Ed Turner says:

Does this come off on your clothes I'm not a competitor but I want to use this product for a beach vacation. Can I wear white? Any and all info is appreciated. Can you Nair? How many days before can you nair afterwards as well?

3. Shena Melgar
    Shena Melgar says:

Hi Samantha! Thanks for the informative video. I been looking for a way of doing tanning myself for my competition this year to save $ and time.

I would like your recommendation if possible. I work and as you know you try to use your days wisely. If I were to do this for myself, can I do the following:

1. Apply my 1st base of the build able color 2 night before; shower in the morning with cold water as suggested put deodorant on so I can go to work the following day.

2. After work (which will be night before comp) wash armpits to clean off deodorant apply 2 additional coats of build able color (with 1 hour in between).

3. Than apply the bronzing mouse or should I wait until the morning of to apply the boozing mouse.

Thanks for your suggestion/advise in advance.

4. Weight Endurance
    Weight Endurance says:

Hi Samantha!
    Where did you get the little white loofah/sponge that you prefer to use when applying your tan? Is that a makeup sponge? It looks softer than the rough loofahs I've seen in stores. Let me know! Thanks!

5. Morgan Russell
    Morgan Russell says:

Loved the video! I actually have a few questions:

When do you put on your competition suit during this process if you're putting on the bronzing mousse the morning of your competition?  I am so afraid of getting anything on my suit.

I am African American w/ medium brown skin; do you think one coat will be enough and then the bronzing mousse?

I normally don't shave my legs because I have really fine hair (i've waxed, and the wax can't pick up the hair bc it's so fine).  So I normally use veet hair remover.  Do you think this will mess with the PH of the self tanner?  Or should I just use it earlier in the week? Or just use a razor and be done with it?

6. jcallejas1
    jcallejas1 says:

Great video! very informative! When do you put the bronzer? since this is your last coat, do you apply it morning of the show? night before? won't the sheen run the bronzer? Thanks again, this helps a lot.

7. Desireé Anna
    Desireé Anna says:

thank you this video is awesome and informative.. Could you do two coats of the bikini bronze thing that you did at the end? I like to be super super brown

8. fattiecane
    fattiecane says:

this is great. thanks. im super white and everything i am reading says you need to be DARK. hella drak. with my red hair that would look just wrong lol. is the color this made you really what you compete in? like does it register as a nice color on stage with the lights and everything

9. Magen Ramirez
    Magen Ramirez says:

1. Back to the deoderant question – the 2-3 days prior to my show and I use the tanner, I shouldn't use deoderant?

2. Showering – Do I shower after the second coat? I'm usually like a caramel skin ton. Is that the last time I should shower?

3. Bronzer – Do I apply this to my hands and feet as well?

4. Hygiene wise – is there anything I can use? I've done the whole spray tanning and it's miserable the smells that can accumulate!

10. Outdoorsinheels
    Outdoorsinheels says:

Girl crush tuesday! Lol your so pretty! Im just starting a weight training program and im obsessed with self tanner so I seen your video as I was scrolling through. Im actually thinking about starting a health and wellness youtube channel 🙂 Are you still making videos? – katie

11. jimmy v
    jimmy v says:

What is the best way to take the tan off after a competition?  Also, I plan on getting a massage on the Monday after a Saturday show.  Should I worry the color could come off on the linens?

12. AshesAreFalling
    AshesAreFalling says:

Nice video!! I watched the whole thing. =) It's very informative. Once you have 2-3 coats of the tan on, how long does it last (how many days/showers)? Also, how long does the bronzing mousse last? Thanks!