Lightweight rowing was such a big part of my life for 6 years which is why this video was so difficult for me to film. As I say in the video, lightweight rowing ultimately wasn’t for me, but I know that’s not the case for everyone. I knew I needed to explain my story with rowing lightweight to inform you all, especially the ones considering rowing lightweight in college. Sorry if this came out disjointed and all over the place. At the end of the day I just want everyone to be confident, safe, and happy.

my lightweight rowing video about NCAA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDiLfezUH7Y&t=13s

Instagram: @gretchengeraghty | Snapchat: gretchennnnn

fave chapstick https://go.magik.ly/ml/gzok/
fave self tanner https://go.magik.ly/ml/d0fw/
my bed https://go.magik.ly/ml/fe2i/

equipment
camera https://rstyle.me/n/c7hxgpb6t57
little tripod https://rstyle.me/n/c7hxhcb6t57
big tripod https://rstyle.me/n/c7hxhfb6t57
studio lights https://rstyle.me/n/c7hxgtb6t57
ring light https://rstyle.me/n/c7hxgwb6t57
editing https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/final-cut-pro/id424389933?mt=12

For business inquiries please contact:
contact@tablerockmanagement.com

xoxo,
Gretchen

1. Brittany Morton
    Brittany Morton says:

It doesn’t make sense that they keep the same lightweight all the way through! If they are going to have weight limits its needs to increase as people get older!

2. Shannon O.
    Shannon O. says:

gretchen, thank you so much for this video. i decided not to continue rowing in college after looking into lightweight programs due to past experience with eating disorders. i was so conflicted because i loved rowing but decided to put my mental health first. im so glad i made that decision & seeing this video is so validating!! im so sorry you had to go through all of this but i’m so glad you’re sharing your story to help others!!

3. Taylor Darrell
    Taylor Darrell says:

Coming from currently being a division 1 collegiate lacrosse athlete, I feel like sports in college is not for everyone but you should never discourage people from wanting to do it in college everyone’s experience is different. I don’t think you should have “screamed from the rooftop” telling everyone dokt do it

4. Anna Craig
    Anna Craig says:

It breaks my heart to know that this was going on behind the scenes and you still had to get in front of the camera and smile like everything was ok 🙁

5. S Lynn
    S Lynn says:

I’m glad you made the change and took steps to better your mental health and body health. So many of women today need this positive message and thank you for sharing your story Gretchen. It’s good to see you so happy and loving life and living it to the fullest!!

6. Ami A
    Ami A says:

Im so glad to see your mental growth with this issue. I remember watching your videos when you first started dating Max and when you’d have anything other than salad/grilled veggies you’d always say hurtful things like “OMG we’re being so disgusting today” or something involving the words gross, fat, etc. It took a toll on me and I considered unsubscribing but I know that it’s coming from a place that is rooted deep in you, considering you started LW rowing in middle school. You’re doing so great now.

7. Alli Paige
    Alli Paige says:

Gretchen you're absolutely amazing for sharing your journey . I can tell how much happier you are with max and just being healthy and doing life the way you wanna live life . You have this amazing life and I'm so grateful for you having a channel because you have helped me with my self confidence and thank you for that . I love you so much Gretchen <3

8. Chloe Howard
    Chloe Howard says:

It makes me so happy that you’re bringing light to such a deep issue that so many people face! You making this video encouraged me so so much❤️

9. Morgan
    Morgan says:

I feel like for light weight rowing if they want the athletes to be under 130lbs then there should be a height restriction also. 130 for petite girls is doable but for somebody 5’9 with your amount of muscle is SO thin

10. Anne Marie Fountain
    Anne Marie Fountain says:

I going into my 6th year of rowing and my senior year in college on an open weight team. I had similar struggles with body image and weight loss (wanting to be more efficient) my sophomore year and actually lost over 30 pounds and was taken out of rowing for how unhealthy I became. I didn’t know you rowed but it’s nice too see how happy and healthy you are after you stopped

11. Lindsey Wilkin
    Lindsey Wilkin says:

Equestrian racing, boxing, and kickboxing all have weigh ins, and although ballet doesn’t do that formally, it’s a very similar pressure placed on it. So I feel like there’s a lot more people out there then you think who have the same pressure of a sport that can cause an over restriction of food, sometimes to the point of anorexia, bulimia, or body dysmorphia. As someone who has struggled with mental health, I know one of the most isolating aspects is feeling like you’re alone. You’re not!! 🙂

12. Hilerie Harris
    Hilerie Harris says:

This breaks my heart Gretchen! Thanks for speaking your truth. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Happy to hear you are doing better. Love your videos.

13. lauren6499
    lauren6499 says:

This was extremely brave of you to share your story. I’m so sorry you had to go through that experience. It’s heart breaking that the coaches know what is going on, but don’t do anything! I’m glad you’re doing better now!

14. Esli Garcia
    Esli Garcia says:

Hi! I know you always get sick often now did you notice the same things when you were lightweight rowing ? And thank you for speaking about this so many people promote all kinds of diets that aren’t meant for everyone and are so restricting. I have been watching you since highschool and I remember always wanting to be as fit as you and Lucy but could never workout as much but little did I know you were going through this all along. I’m so sorry. Also do you think your body going through these changes at such a young age affected you in your early 20s. I wanted to tell you that maybe have your hormone levels checked?

15. Brooke Butler
    Brooke Butler says:

i had never heard of lightweight rowing before watching your videos so i'm not really all that familiar with it. it's so horrible that you had to go through this and my heart goes out to you, but i have a couple questions. what would happen if you didn't make the weigh in? could you just not compete for that match or was it a bigger deal? and also, if you & other girls were consistently over 130, why couldn't you just do regular rowing because then you wouldn't have to worry about losing weight? no hate or anything, just trying to understand since this is unfamiliar to me

16. Rachel Jean
    Rachel Jean says:

Gretchen 😭😭😭😭😭😭 I fucking love you and your heart and your message. Thank you so much for sharing, I don’t row but I have had an ed for quite some time and it just is good to hear someone else talk about the behind the scenes and things that contribute. Thank you for being you we love you❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

17. tori lizzy
    tori lizzy says:

I was a tower up until senior year of high school 🤣 long story short I was cut from the team because I didn’t train hard enough! But I’m glad for this because if I never was cut from the team I wouldn’t have the job I have right now in the city of New York 🤗🚑🚒

18. Morgan Bariteau
    Morgan Bariteau says:

as a former athlete and someone who aspires to coach young athletes, this literally breaks my heart. Coaches should be people who life you up and motivate you to be your best self and not just focused on a weight and turning a blind eye to all these issues that most likely will cause sever mental health issues during and after college when your life is already so stressful. Sports for me were an outlet and resource to help my mental health and confidence. I feel so bad for girls who struggle with this issue because of a sport 🙁 SO AMAZING of you to bring up this issue, it is soooo important for young athletes to know!